No. 4 Generals battle Lynchburg to scoreless draw

Harry Pinkerton

LYNCHBURG, Va. – A Washington and Lee goal in the final minute of the second overtime period was nullified due to offsides, as the fourth-ranked men's soccer team traveled to Lynchburg on Wednesday night and came away with a scoreless draw.

The Generals' overall record sits at 6-1-2 for the season after the draw, while Hornets are now 3-3-2 overall.

In the final minute of the game, the Generals put together a final strong push at a goal. Junior forward Harry Pinkerton (Suwanee, Ga./North Gwinnett) got behind the defense and one-timed a pass into the back of the night, but was called for offsides to keep the Generals off the board.

In the 105th minute, Pinkerton ran down a long ball up right side and controlled the ball, stopped and evaded a sliding defender and got off a left-footed shot, but right to the Lynchburg keeper.

W&L's strongest chance in the first overtime period came in the 99th minute on a shot from junior midfielder Harris Salom (Blacksburg, Va./Blacksburg). Salom found room for a shot on the left side and curled it around the leaping try of the Lynchburg keeper, but the shot sailed just wide of the right post.

First-year midfielder Michael Kutsanzira (Bulawayo, Zimbabwe/Putnam Science Academy (Conn.)) led the Generals' offense with four shots in the contest, two on goal. Salom, junior midfielder Jack Parham (Littleton, Colo./Colorado Academy) and first-year defender Charley Colby (Prairie Village, Kan./Shawnee Mission East) came in next with three shots each and combined for four attempts on goal.

For the Hornets, junior midfielder Ben Mackey and junior forward Abibi Osman shot twice each to pace the offense. In total, nine different players combined for 11 Lynchburg shots.

W&L sophomore goalkeeper Michael Nyc (Kildeer, Ill./Adlai E. Stevenson) (6-1-2) made three saves to notch his fifth shutout of the season. Nyc also now has 13 career shutouts, the sixth most in program history.

Lynchburg junior goalkeeper Kyle Gallagher (3-3-2) stopped 11 shots in 110 minutes in net.

For the game, the Generals outshot the Hornets, 22-11, including 13-5 after the first half, and earned 10 corner kicks to three for the Hornets.

The Generals will return to action on Saturday when they host Transylvania at 2:30 pm in their final non-conference game of the regular season.

-- --