No. 6 Generals play to 1-1 draw at Christopher Newport

Seth Chapman

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. – The sixth-ranked Washington and Lee men's soccer team came away with a 1-1, double-overtime draw on Saturday evening in its non-conference game at Christopher Newport.

The draw puts the Generals' overall record at 6-1-1 on the season, while the Captains are now 3-1-3 overall.

Through more than 55 minutes of scoreless soccer, the Generals were granted a free kick in the center of the field, about 25 yards out from the Captains' goal. Sophomore midfielder Connor Wharton (Littleton, Colo./Colorado Academy) stepped up to take the kick and curled his left-footed shot around a wall of defenders and into the bottom left corner of the frame to give W&L a 1-0 lead.

In the 80th minute, the Captains had the ball deep in the Generals' defensive zone. After the Generals failed to clear, sophomore forward Ethan Larson flicked a header pass to the center of the box that was headed in by junior forward Justin Wilson to the far right post.

After 90 minutes of regulation expired, both teams had solid chances in both overtime periods, with the Captains edging the Generals, 4-3, in shots, but neither side was able to finish a chance.

The first half was also a tightly contested period, as the Generals held a 7-6 shot advantage.

Sophomore midfielder Jack Parham (Littleton, Colo./Colorado Academy) and first-year midfielder Michael Kutsanzira (Bulawayo, Zimbabwe/Putnam Science Academy (Conn.)) led the Generals' offense with five shots each and combined for five shots on goal. First-year midfielder Samuel Bass (Charlotte, N.C./Myers Park) finished with four shots.

Larson, Wilson and senior midfielder Michael Wilson paced the Christopher Newport offense with three shots each and combined for five shots on goal.

Sophomore goalkeeper Michael Nyc (Kildeer, Ill./Adlai E. Stevenson) (6-1-1) made six saves and played all 110 minutes in goal for the Generals. Senior keeper Justin Piercy (3-1-3) stopped 10 shots to preserve the tie for the Captains, while the defense notched a first-half save, kicking a shot away at the goal line just before crossing.

For the game, the Generals outshot the Captains, 21-16, and earned eight corner kicks to three from CNU.

The Generals will return to the pitch on Wednesday when they travel to Lynchburg for a 7:00 pm start against the Hornets. The game will not count towards the Generals' conference record.

-- --