Dolberg scores in the 90th minute, No. 14 W&L shocks No. 3 Oglethorpe, 2-1

Oliver Dolberg

LEXINGTON, Va. – Senior defender Oliver Dolberg (Clovis, Calif./Floyd B. Buchanan) scored the game-winning goal with 47 seconds left in regulation to give the 14th-ranked Washington and Lee men's soccer team a thrilling upset-win over third-ranked Oglethorpe at Watt Field on Sunday afternoon.

The win improves the Generals to 5-1 overall on the season and extends their home winning streak to 11 games and their home unbeaten streak to 17 games (16-0-1). In addition, the win over Oglethorpe (4-2) marks W&L's third win over teams currently ranked in the United Soccer Coaches Top 25 poll.

With time ticking down under a minute in the second half, sophomore midfielder Connor Wharton (Littleton, Colo./Colorado Academy) drew a foul just to the left of the Stormy Petrels' 18-yard box. First-year midfielder Samuel Bass (Charlotte, N.C./Myers Park) stepped up to take the kick and hit an in-swinging cross to the center of the goal box.

Dolberg skied over a defender and headed the ball past the Oglethorpe keeper for the game-winning goal.

In the first half, the Stormy Petrels got on the board first when sophomore midfielder Affonso Temporal scored on a corner kick taken by junior defender Gilberto Ramos in the 15th minute.

The Generals had a quick answer, however, when junior midfielder Jack Parham (Littleton, Colo./Colorado Academy) scored from close range, after junior forward Harry Pinkerton (Suwanee, Ga./North Gwinnett) found space inside the goal box for a centering pass.

Parham and first-year midfielder Michael Kutsanzira (Bulawayo, Zimbabwe/Putnam Science Academy (Conn.)) led the Generals with a game-high four shots each. Dolberg finished the contest with two shots.

Oglethorpe's offense was led by Temporal, whose goal came on one of his two shots in the game. Sophomore forward Abraham Lopez notched a team-high three shots.

Sophomore goalkeeper Michael Nyc (Kildeer, Ill./Adlai E. Stevenson) (5-1) played all 90 minutes in goal and made four saves. For Oglethorpe, senior keeper Scott Zoino also played 90 minutes and made three saves.

The two teams finished about even in shots, with the Generals holding the edge in the game by a 19-15 margin. Both sides logged five shots on goal, while Oglethorpe held a 10-6 advantage in corner kicks, including 8-2 in the first half.

The Generals will return to the pitch on Friday when they travel to Bridgewater for their first ODAC match of the season. The game is scheduled to begin at 4:00 pm.

-- --