W&L bested by No. 8/22 Johns Hopkins, 5-2

Harris Salom

BALTIMORE – The Washington and Lee men's soccer team suffered its first loss in just under a year, falling by a score of 5-2 to No. 8/22 Johns Hopkins on Saturday afternoon on the first day of the Blue Jay Invitational.

The loss for the Generals (2-1) snaps their program-record 17-game unbeaten streak, and it is their first loss since dropping a 2-0 decision to York (Pa.) on Sept. 9 of last season. The Blue Jays improve to 2-1 with the win.

The Blue Jays moved ahead early with a goal in the fifth minute from junior midfielder Liam Creedon, followed by their second goal in the 35th minute, courtesy of junior forward Ben Bae.

W&L halved the Johns Hopkins lead with 28 seconds remaining in the half when junior midfielder Harris Salom (Blacksburg, Va./Blacksburg) fired a shot from about 30 yards out and past the keeper, after receiving a cross from junior forward Harry Pinkerton (Suwanee, Ga./North Gwinnett).

Johns Hopkins responded with goals in the 47th and 62nd minutes to pull ahead, 4-1. Pinkerton scored in the 70th minute to get the Generals back to within two goals, but the Blue Jays added a score in the 88th minute to put the game away.

First-year midfielder Samuel Bass (Charlotte, N.C./Myers Park) led the Generals' offense with three shots in the game. Junior defender Erik Recke (Boyertown, Pa./Boyertown Area), junior midfielder Jack Parham (Littleton, Colo./Colorado Academy) and first-year forward Michael Kutsanzira (Bulawayo, Zimbabwe/Putnam Science Academy (Conn.)) each recorded one assist in the contest and combined for four shots.

First-year forward Alex Whamond led the Blue Jays' offense with a pair of goals and three shots in the game. Creedon, Bae and senior forward Matthew Macfarquhar added the other three goals.

Sophomore goalkeeper Michael Nyc (Kildeer, Ill./Adlai E. Stevenson) (2-1) suffered the loss, making three saves in 90 minutes of action. He also saw his consecutive shutout minutes streak come to an end on the first Johns Hopkins goal, as the sophomore's streak ended at 1,058:22, the eighth longest stretch in NCAA Division III history.

Blue Jays' junior goalkeeper Xavier Lefevre (2-1) earned the win after saving 3-of-5 shots in 90 minutes in net.

The teams were about even in shots for the game, with Johns Hopkins edging the Generals, 13-12, while the Blue Jays also had a 6-3 advantage in corner kicks.

The Generals will be back in action on Sunday when they take on Mary Washington at 3:30 pm to close the Blue Jay Invitational.

-- www.generalssports.com --