Generals pull out 2-1 overtime win over Christopher Newport in home opener

Viktor Dolberg

LEXINGTON, Va. – First-year defender Jack Rawlins (Springfield, Va./Lake Braddock Secondary) fired in the game-winning goal with 2:24 remaining in overtime to lift the Washington and Lee men's soccer team to a thrilling 2-1 home-opening win over Christopher Newport on Wednesday evening.

Regulation ended with the score knotted at 1-1 after the Generals had played the final 25 minutes of regulation a man down, following a red card in the 65th minute.

With time winding down in the first overtime period, the Generals (2-3) were awarded a free kick about 30 yards out. Senior midfielder Dylan Ritch (Mint Hill, N.C./Independence) stepped up to take the free kick and put a shot towards goal. The ball bounced off the right post and went right to Rawlins who quickly put a shot into the open net after the Captains' (3-3) goalkeeper dove out of position attempting to punch away Ritch's shot.

In the 49th minute, senior midfielder Will Hamryka (Dawsonville, Ga./Greater Atlanta Christian) gave W&L the first lead of the game with his first goal of the season. Hamryka took one touch inside the box, after senior midfielder Viktor Dolberg (Clovis, Calif./Floyd B. Buchanan) tapped the ball backwards to Hamryka with his heel, and finished the opportunity inside the far left post.

Christopher Newport responded in the 68th minute, however, when junior midfielder David Eddleton scored on a penalty kick, his third goal of the season.

Neither team dented the scoreboard in the first half as the opening frame was a tightly contested affair. Both teams shot six times in the period with the Generals edging the Captains, 2-1, in shots on goal.

Rawlins' goal in overtime was the first of his career while Ritch's assist on the play moved him into sole possession of third place on the W&L all-time assists list (19). It was Ritch's fifth assist of the season as the senior has recorded at least one helper in four of five contests this season.

Ritch led the offense in the game with a team-high five shots, one on goal, with Hamryka and senior midfielder Kevin Lencioni (Rochester Hills, Mich./Rochester Adams) coming in next with a pair of shots each.

The Captains were led by senior forward Stephen Durbin who got off five shots in the contest and put four on goal. First-year forward Lincoln Kickbush was also among the offensive leaders for Christopher Newport as he tallied three shots.

First-year goalkeeper Michael Nyc (Kildeer, Ill./Adlai E. Stevenson) (1-1) earned his first career win after making eight saves in 97:36 of action. Senior goalkeeper Zach Pedini (3-3) suffered the loss as the Captains' net minder, playing the full game and stopping two shots.

Both teams attempted four corner kicks in the game but Christopher Newport held the shot advantage, 22-12, including a 13-3 margin over W&L in the second half.

The Generals will return to the pitch on Saturday when they open ODAC-play against Virginia Wesleyan. Kick-off is slated for 1:00 pm at Watt Field.

-- --